Fort Custer is interested in maintaining and restoring prairie fens and their associated upland systems. Fire and hydrologic processes are both critical for fen ecosystems, and so objectives are focused on:
- Managing healthy upland areas to allow for groundwater infiltration
- Conducting prescribed burns to restore and maintain fen vegetation
- Maintaining high-quality habitat by controlling invasive species and planting appropriate local vegetation
- Monitoring and maintaining critical hydrological processes
- Releasing captively-reared endangered species associated with fens (for example Mitchell’s satyr butterfly).
Challenges and Opportunities
Project participants used the Adaptation Workbook and the menu of strategies and approaches for non-forested wetlands to develop several adaptation actions for this project, including: