This resource list is specific to this region and provides both comprehensive and topic-specific information related to climate change, ecosystem vulnerability, and adaptation. A list of the major science organizations and partners within the region is also provided, and we encourage you to connect with them should you require further resources.
The resources listed below include a variety of published reports, including the 2018 National Climate Change Assessment and various ecosystem-based vulnerability assessments produced by partners in this region. Be sure to also familiarize yourself with the Explore Climate Impacts tool found at AdaptationWorkbook.org. There you can explore short but detailed summaries of how climate change is expected to impact or further impact your region.
Before diving into climate change resources, if you feel like you need a refresher on climate change basics consider accessing our education modules (~30 min long). The modules feature information on Climate 101, Climate effects on Forests, Climate Adaptation, and Forest-Carbon management
Some selected resources:
Portals and informational warehouses
- Climate of the Southeast United States: Variability, Change, Impacts, and Vulnerability - Southeast Climate Consortium
- Fourth National Climate Assessment: Southeast
More climate change resources...
- Southeast Climate Adaptation Science Center Downscaled Climate Projections for the Southeast
- NOAA Climate Explorer (explore graphs and maps of historical and projected climate variables for any county in the contiguous United States)
- USFS Tree Atlas tool (projected changes in tree species distribution)
- Effects of drought on forests and rangelands in the United States: translating science into management responses - Southeast
- Forests and Climate Change in the Southeast US - USFS
Adaptation Resources and Examples
- Canadian Boreal Forest Conservation Framework
- Vulnerability of Canada’s Tree Species to Climate Change and Management Options for Adaptation: An Overview for Policy Makers and Practitioners
- Adapting Forestry Programs for Climate Change - 2018
- EPA Storm Surge Inundation map (observed data)
- Impacts of Climate Change and Variability on Water Resources in the Southeast USA
- Climate Change and Sea Level Rise in Florida - The Florida Oceans and Coastal Council
- Ecosystem Vulnerability to Climate Change in the Southeastern United States - USGS
- Assessing Climate Sensitive Ecosystems in the Southeastern US - USGS
- USFS Climate Change Resource Center“Carbon and Land Management” - Introduction, Carbon Management Objectives and Considerations”
- USFS Climate Change Resource Center “Forest Management for Carbon Benefits”
Science organizations in this region
- Southeast Climate Adaptation Science Center
- Southeast Regional Climate Center
- Southern Regional Climate Center
Did we forget a resource? Please let us know! Contact Danielle.